Monday, December 10, 2012

MDIA 4902 Blog 6

I realize this comes late in the semester, but it's been one hell of a start to my junior year so far.

I'm supposed to cover what I have learned so far in the semester; at the point this assignment should have been done I had actually come to realize there was a lot I hadn't realized about marketing in new media. The biggest thing that stuck out to me at this point was just how effective blogging could be. Maybe this is because I never utilize blogging as a medium. I feel blogging is similar to LiveJournal, both of which are fantastic connection tools, but I prefer to use Facebook and Twitter a lot more.

Companies can and will capitalize on new media forms, it gives the company an edge; Being able to quickly adapt to new communication and media forms shows a willingness to expand the consumer experience. The company that already has a presence on Facebook or Twitter is going to be able to communicate to their customers more easily than those that have not jumped on board with social networking trends.

This also applies inversely; companies that have yet to create a facebook or google+ page are already at a disadvantage. They're missing an entire audience that they could be generating potential interest from. Before this class I would have argued that certain companies may not want to advertize through SNS's, but only because I felt they wouldn't have been able to reach certain demographics. In the back of my mind I always thought that companies attempting to reach a senior demographic shouldn't even worry about advertizing in new media. I realize now that there are plenty of senior citizens that are fully capable of operating social media (they could teach my grandparents a thing or two!) and thus a more streamlined customer experience tailored to them should not be out of the question.

No comments:

Post a Comment